Friday, May 8, 2009

My So-Called Freelance Life

Every year or so I need to look back at the actual business structure of being self-employed (generally it happens when I have a slow month). When Tiger Woods begins his training for each season, it's said that be asks his trainer to start with the basics as if he didn't even know how to hold a golf club. Well that is similar to what I do when I need good motivation, encouragement and focus. I go back to the business section of my local bookstore and look for a book on how to get started. I know that this is a particularly nerdy confession, reading business books over novels, but some of us need to be nerds so the rest can just get the recommendations. :) Well for a freelancer, even one who's been on their own for years, this is my newest favorite:



Not only is it written in a fun way, it refreshed the way I was looking at my work. So often freelancers are just looking for the next gig and that last paycheck to come it, but being self-employed is really just owning a company with 1 employee. So you need to spend some time running that business.

Michelle Goodman does a great job of taking the intimidation factor out of running your own company - after all you can do your accounting/paperwork in your pajamas. One of my favorite things she says in the beginning of the book is about the business plan for the freelancer. She talks about a business plan like a list of goals, almost like New Year's resolutions, helping you stay focused about the kind of work you want to do and the kind of clients you hope to have. Then you can start to look at your work as less of a first-come first-served calendar of gigs and more as a game-plan for getting you to where you want to be!

No comments: